Why Garage Doors Come Off Their Tracks
It’s not uncommon to see houses with garage doors that are either uneven or halfway down. What makes matters worse is that most people attempt to fix the doors themselves. Sometimes the situation can become so bad that a door that was uneven at one point in time may end up collapsing on top of your vehicle.
The mistake that most DIY enthusiasts make is that they only expend all their energies on getting the garage door back on its tracks; but in most cases, the fix isn’t as simple as that. It’s best to hire an experienced technician to get the door working again.
Things to focus on
If your garage door comes off its tracks, it’s important that you stop operating it right away. If you continue operating it, that can cause the door a significant amount of damage, which can be troublesome and expensive to fix. A trained garage door professional will be able to set it back on track. We at Professional Garage Door Services, Inc. are one of the leading companies in this space and can handle these jobs with skill and expertise.
Why do garage doors come off their tracks
In some cases, they may have to either straighten/replace the door panels replace. If your door comes off the track and you get it fixed before any further damage takes place, you can easily a realign the doors’ rollers onto the track yourself. There are a number of different reasons why your garage door may have come off its tracks such as:
- Broken spring– If you have attempted to operate the garage door that has a broken spring, it will cause an imbalance in the feature, causing one side of the door to carry the load. The weight of the door will make it come off the track. This can be quite a problematic and frustrating situation to deal with.
- Damaged garage doors– Of your garage door suffers some damage along its bottom/top edges of the panels that can cause it to shift off the tracks. While it may appear to be okay, the panel will have buckled outward.
- Deterioration of the rollers– Rollers allows for the smooth up and down movement of the door. Over time, these can become frozen in place, start to wobble, wear out entirely and fall off. In some cases, more than one roller deteriorates, causing the door to come off its tracks. If the door doesn’t have a smooth movement, the worn roller/s will result in an imbalance which in turn leads to the door coming off its tracks. This can cause a number of difficulties while closing and opening the door.
If the opener is unable to open the door that can cause the cables to jump off of the cable drum, resulting in an uneven door level. And this will cause the rollers to pop out. If you find that the door’s wheel has come off its track, call a professional to inspect it. If the roller has lost its radius or become too worn down, it indicates that the wheel’s tread has worn out. This is very common for Aurora IL garage doors, which is why we provide Aurora Garage Door Repair.
Since the feature is built to stay on the track based on its radius, the loss of it will cause roller to pop out of the tracks. The door is structured in such a way that it has a curved angle inside and a 90° angle in front and the roller’s wheel treads rolls on to these. So, if your roller has worn out, that will only lead to more severe problems.
Other reasons why garage doors come off their track
In addition to the points discussed above, there are some other reasons that can cause the doors to come off their track such as:
- An obstruction in the track– Often times, the track accidentally bends or a garden tool falls into the track. This kind of an obstruction can make your garage door roll down and stop altogether too.
- Hardware that has come loose– Over time the movement of the door can cause the hardware on the structure to come loose. This results in a significant amount of stress on the other components of the door, causing it to come off track.
- Hit the door accidentally with a vehicle– If you have hit the door with your car while backing out of the garage, the repairs will be dependent on the amount of damage the door has suffered. While it may seem like all you have to do is shift the roller back into its tracks, that doesn’t always work and can be quite dangerous as well. It’s best to call in a professional to fix the problem, ensuring it’s safe for use. Never attempt to operate a garage door that has come off track. As mentioned at the outset, that can cause it to collapse completely.
- Cable break- Sometimes, a cable break can be the reason for your garage door to come off its tracks. The cables provide good cushioning and support and bear the weight of the door when it is either moving up or down.
Hire expert garage door professionals
The aspect to keep in view is that good quality garage doors are resilient and can last for a number of years without any trouble if they are maintained well. We know from experience that regular wear and tear cause deterioration of these features and their various components.
Regardless of what the reason for the doors coming off the tracks is, it’s never a good idea to defer the repairs. Call in an experienced garage door professional to inspect the feature and fix the problem before it gets out of hand. We at Professional Garage Door Services, Inc. provide high-quality garage door installation repair and preventative maintenance services.
We have the experience, knowledge, tools, and resources to handle all these jobs expertly and professionally. If you want to know more about our services here at Professional Garage Door Services, Inc., don’t hesitate to contact us through our web form or call 630 554 3620.